Re: Resonant charging with MOTs

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 02:24 PM 11/01/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

>Hello everybody!

<snip>

>I can't get MOT voltage doublers to work for more than 5 sec. on my coil.
>I think the diodes are blowing, since my doubler caps are 2.5 uF.
>The sparks sure look great while the diodes last, though.
>
>Winston K.

Hello Winston, Coilers,

Have you got any protection filter (AKA Terry filter) between your
diodes and the coil's tank circuit?  How about the inrush current
limiting resistors, seeing as your caps are fairly big?  How many
diodes and of what type are you using?  I've got 40 of the 1N4007
types in my doubler and they seem to be holding up OK.  Something
must be stressing your diodes big time.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca