Re: FCC Regs

> As to the likelihood of FCC DF'ing you for coiling, as a fellow ham,
> consider this: We once had somebody jam the weekly 2-meter net,
> regularly and consistently. We DF'd him with Adcock antennas, on
> multiple dates, and had it pinned down to a local telco facility that
> took up a block or two of real estate. Calls were made, FCC supposedly
> was going to be there on a particular night.... the jammer cooperated,
> FCC never showed. It wasn't like they had to do any sort of detective
> work, we had him located. Hopefully your neighbors have less sway
> with FCC than licensed ops.
> I lack the knowledge to say myself, but others have said that the Q of
> the coil circuit tends to lend itself to not having alot of spurious sigs.
>
> 73 de N4MBL.

1. The coil is very short compared to a wavelength and as a result is a
very inefficient radiator.  Use the formula for helical radiators to
estimate the radiation resistance.

2. The neighbors might actually have more say, as you would be
interfering with something other than the ham service, which is already
so screwed up that they don't ordinarily care much.  However, unless
they can hear the noise the neighbors probably won't be able to figure
out whas is going on.

Ed

W6IZJ