Re: MOT prices

> Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>

> Has anyone developed a rule of thumb relating the weight of a MOT to its
> power handling capacity? For example, 100 watts per pound. I have a couple
> of MOTs that I salvaged but my only clue as to their power handling
capacity
> is the current and voltage rating of the entire oven found on the sticker
on
> the back of the oven.

Virtually all of the power consumed by a microwave oven goes through the MOT
into the tube.  Maybe 10 watts is used for things like the timer, fan, etc.
The tube filament draws some power, but that goes through the MOT as well.
I would guess that the power limiting part of an MOT is the primary winding,
not the secondary.