Re: Several Basic Questions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/10/02 1:55:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>
>
> Robert
>
> > The capacitor,primary, and spark gap are in series. The power transformer
> > should be across,or parrelel with, the spark gap. If you put the power
> > transformer across the capacitor you can experience oscilations that will
> > ,or can, burn out the transformer.
>
> I have never found this at all. I have run my coil for about 15 hours now
> and I have had no problems with any of my 3 neons (connected in paralell). I
> believe if you use an RLC filter network and a good safety gap then you
> should have no problems AT ALL with the transformer. This is shown on my
> coil - there is very little feedback from the TC into my transformer when
> looking at the NST output with a scope. It also adds a safety aspect by
> discharging the pulse cap when the coil is off.
>
> Best Regards,
> Jason
>
> {UK Geek #1139 ¬ G-2}

Hi All,
         It can be shown from physical principles and mathematically (and has
several times on this list in the last two years) that the
capacitor-across-transformer configuration places much more stress on the
transformer than the gap-across- transformer one does. This does not mean that
it will not work. It does not mean that your transformer will die tomorrow. It
DOES mean that the average life span of transformers in the cap-across
configuration has been found to be significantly shorter than the gap-across.
         Example: My 80-year old ex-father-in law smokes a pack of cigarettes a
day and has had 6 DUIs in three states, but I cannot recommend these activities
as healthy or harmless. Likewise, I cannot recommend the
capacitor-across-transformer configuration as the best one for your
transformer's health.
Matt D.
G3-1085