Re: Single vs Two Phase - both sides are right!

Original poster: "Alex Crow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alexcrow-at-blueyonder.co.uk>

On Tuesday 08 January 2002 1:59 am, Tesla list wrote:
> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

I know what you mean, but surely these waveforms below can be represented (if
you're using degrees, not radians, as (where t=time):

V=120 x sin(t)

> >        _      +120
> >       / \
> > Hot1 |---|-------0
> >          \_/  -120

V=120 x sin(t+180)

> >           _   +120
> >          / \
> > Hot2 |---|-------0
> >       \_/     -120

?

I agree however that to all intents and purposes this is a single-phase
system, since it can be produced by a *single* rotating armature and a
transformer whose output center tap is grounded. But if you (masochistically)
wanted to simulate these two as separate voltage sources in, say, microsim,
you'd probably have to add a 180 degree lag to one of them in order to get
this...

Cheers,

Alex