Solid Al or stranded Cu primary wire

Original poster: "ROBERT L BOZARTH JR. by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jbdetails-at-prodigy-dot-net>

    Subject pretty much says it all. I have some of both, even if either are
not as effective as the good ol' standby I would still like to use one or the
other since they were given to me. However, if it's going to be a futile
attempt I'd rather put my time into something else. The stranded Cu came from
an old well to power the pump some 200 feet down. I would be guessing at about
4 to 0 ga. wire. The Al is solid 10 ga. Original use is unknown at this time.
It's been used and re-rolled into a messy 10" coil. I think I can straighten it
back out to make more of a neat coil out of it.
    My coil specs are.... Ok, I haven't actually built one yet but this wire,
assumed usefull, will get me on my way. I do have a 15Kx30ma NST and a 4"pvc
sewer pipe secondary wound with 1800 turns of salvaged 26 ga wire(about 14").
And a six pack of rootbeer SW caps.
    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,
        Bob Bozarth