Re: MOT supply >4 off

Original poster: "J Whyte by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <xoom321-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: MOT supply >4 off
>Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 21:07:57 -0700
>
>Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>
>
>Greetings Team
>Yes the centre is grounded. The insulation problem is not really too
>difficult.
>ALL cores are grounded also.
>The first secondary of each half is unmodified. The outer xfrmrs are
>carefully selected for good sec to core clearance. I do remove the htr
>winding. The inner part of the last xfrmr is at about 4.5kv above ground
>rising to about 6.5kv towards the outer part of the winding. Keeping that
>4.5kv away from the core is not too difficult if the xfrmr is in oil.  Good
>Oil will do about 70kv /mm I think.
>
>I do not believe it is nescessary to elevate the primary winding potential
>and use a "super" isolation xfrmr. I have not had much run time with 6 MOTS
>but the insulation seems to hold very well.
>
>The 6" PVC plumbing and the plastic caps that fit it make really good
>containers. You do need to make sure you seal the caps on the 6" tube (at
>the bottom) to avoid leaking oil however. I use PVC solvent cement sold for
>PVC spouting systems
>
>I think like you that MOT's are a great source of xfrmrs for the Tesla
>experimweter, cheap, plentiful and you have only to look on the WEB to see
>how well they perform

Hey, keep up the good work. I made myself a "pork chop" out of MOT XMFR's
tonight, and put the whole thing under oil....and it working well at 19 kV
output, I think it drawing 6 kW or so. I can't believe it...the transformers
aren't even warm yet and so far no corona can be seen.