re: Re: removing MOT shunts

Original poster: "J Whyte by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <xoom321-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: removing MOT shunts
>Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 17:08:54 -0700
>
>Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>
>
>JW,
>
>The MOT shunts aren't nearly effective in a MOT as NST shunts are in an
>NST.
>In a microwave oven, current is partially limited by the shunts, partially
>by the series about 1 mF cap, and by the nature of the load (magnetron).
>Your 720 watt MOT can put out considerably more than 720 watts as is - no
>need to knock out shunts.  I suspect if you short the output, you may trip
>your circuit breaker or at least have a smoking hot MOT, whereas if you do
>the same with a NST, which is what conducting neon does approximately, the
>NST shunts keep the current limited and the NST doesn't overheat.
>
>If you do use your draw 1.1 kW out of your 720 watt MOT, then you need to
>worry about cooling it, such as submerging it in oil.  Probably easier to
>find some more larger MOTs.
>
>--Steve
I tried shorting the outputs of a MOT from of an older model microwave.
After Successfully arcing the jacobs ladder for a few minutes and didn't pop
any breakers, the transformer REALLY started to get warm and toasty--- I
also began to see a drop in output power too...then ""BANG"", the 15A
breaker blew! The old microwave doesn't have an a wattage output or input
label anywhere. All I know is that it has a .8uF 2000 VAC rated cap, and its
a 1976 Panasonic microwave, with a small sized MOT, it only weighs 6 lbs or
so.

I have another MOT which is MASSIVE. It weights 20 lbs and runs an
industrial microwave. I was told it was a 1500 W transformer.
It has 4 input leads (all 120V), and 4 output leads (2 sets for 2200 V, and
two sets for 20 V). It can't be run off the standard wall socket...it trips
the breaker everytime and uses 15A +. On my arcwelder ballast it works
great! I'm getting 4.3 kVAC output and close to an AMP of output power with
the MOT. I can pull some BIG, Large hot electrical arc off it!!

If only I could find more of these. They are EXPENSIVE!!

.....what am I saying, I already have my TC <MOT> supply built....oh well,
it doesn't hurt to tinker with trannies.

:))