Re: Big Spark Induction Coil

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

Antonio -

Completely agreed! I was just expressing it a little differently. You
remember: in my 21 December private mail to you, covering the same
question about appearence of the oscillations within the ringdown, I
wrote:

"In my understanding, the spark is just implementing a kind of structure
change (the 50k resistor [Rem.for TCML:representing the secondary spark
in Microsim] also beeing almost a short circuit), where we no more see a
coupled 2-resonant-circuit-system L1C1+L2C2, but only one of a single
L1C1 circuit. My simple
f1 = 1 / { 2pi * sqrt [ L1 * (1-k^2)* C1 ] }
correlation formula, which is based on a bare simple transformer model,
points in the same direction, at least for relatively tightly coupled
induction coils, like my one. As seen, it fits the data quite well."
...may be, it got a little bit lost, within the bulk of other
information exchange.

Well, even in the "sim", when displaying the secondary voltage (accross
the sparkgap), at first, we observe a very high peak (i.e. 16kV for test
24A), and then essentially low voltage accross the spark, till the high
f1 oscillation has ceased, when the f2 oscillation appears. This leads
to the second part of your posting: The tuning of the coil, including
primary and secondary LC's, as well as coupling, can be implemented to
probably optimal values, just for creating the first energy transfer
from prim' to sec' -and highest voltage- BEFORE secondary spark
breakdown. Did I get you about right?

There's just a 3rd thing, which also triggers my interest: the
capacitive loading of the secondary, without generating sparks. As
,essentially, a "capacitive shorting" of the secondary, it produces
comparable first f1 ringings similar to a spark (see i.e.test 33A). But
it's as well forming the L2C2 resonant circuit, and as such, makes the
system behaving differently than with spark. The observed frequencies f1
and f2 concur with those fI and fII calculated from A.Bowers's idealized
induction coil theory, while, with a non-capacitively loaded, but
sparking coil, this is not generally the case. I'm yet pondering about
it...

Cheers,
         Kurt Schraner

P.S. I'm afraid, Terry must stop this thread, getting too much off
topic?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>