Re: Big Spark Induction Coil

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

Antonio -

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

<snip>

> I am still intrigued by the apparent long duration of the sparks, with
> a primary high-frequency oscillation appearing during the sparks. Or
> I am not interpreting the pictures correctly?
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

I don't think, you're misinterpreteing my pic's. I'm myself wondering
about the long duration of the higher frequency "f1" part in the
oscillograms. But this oscillation behavior is experimentally true: you
can watch(live) the extension of the "f1"-time by manually shortening
the spark electrode distance. The same behavior was obseved recently,
using just an ignition coil. However: may be, the spark itself is
lighting and extinguishing many times, during this perjod of some 3.x
ms. The jacobs-ladder photos of my inductor seem to lead, to suppose
short sparking times, as very distinct sparks can be observed, while the
coil was operated at 50Hz. The pulses, however, were generated by short,
about 1ms lasting, capacitor discharges from the "dimmer".

Cheers,
          Kurt