RE: Making toroids

Original poster: "Andy Cleary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cleara-at-twcny.rr-dot-com>

	Hi there!  I too am in your situation (big machine shop = make good
toroid!), and what I've been working on is metal spinning.  I've
actually spent the last 3 semesters of school for 3 hours a week every
week trying to build the appropriate apparatus to perform metal
spinning on a standard metal lathe.  Actually, all you need is a piece
to put in the tailstock of the lathe that will spin and press a sheet
of metal against a spinning wooden chuck (half torus, or half sphere,
etc.) at it's pinnacle, allowing you to then "pry" the metal sheet
down from that pinnacle upon the chuck using a specially fitted post
on the lathe.  It kind of sounds complicated (due to my poor
description), but it really isn't.  The bulk of my time down there has
been turning down a piece of steel to correctly fit into the
tailstock, turning steel is slow going, especially when going about
1/2" depth!  Besides that, it seems pretty easy.  I figure one or two
more sessions, and I'll be all finished!  To assist anyone interested
in metal spinning, I scanned a few pages of a really good metal
spinning book onto my website along with a few good links, the url
being http://www.rpi.edu/~cleara/infoarea/spinning/spinning.htm .  I
believe there are also some books on metal spinning available at
Lindsay's Technical Books, www.lindsaybks-dot-com .
	And let me say, when those toroids are spun, they are the most
beautiful toploads I've ever personally seen.  After first seeing John
Freau's spun toroids, I was amazed!  I'm not counting on it, but I'd
like to get 'em like that some day. Check out
http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page1.html for a nice finished
product.  Good luck, I hope I've been of assistance!

-Andy C.