Re: electrocution experiences

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Hi Marc!

WOW!  10 Joules is considered lethal, your combination calculated out
to just over 5.5J.  The warning on bleeder resistors can't be overstated,
however, NEVER trust (your life) on the fact that the bleeders
did discharge the capacitors, they can fail too (and have a relatively
high probability of failing since they are pulse discharging a capacitor
and dissipating power while the circuit is on).

Also as a side note, the NEC "suggests" bleeders on any capacitors
larger then 0.1uF and charged to higher then 250V.  If 250V is a
peak value, stored energy is just over 0.003 Joules.  Capacitor discharge
time (5 time constants) should be no more then 1 minute, or faster
then you can get access to circuit.  Capacitors should be checked by
discharging with a grounding rod (hot stick), before touching circuits,
or physically grounding the HV with a mechanical crowbar (this technique
is used in commercial broadcast transmitters and VT induction heating
equipment).

I've never be "zapped" by the anode of a picture tube, but if you
assume the capacitance of a 26" tube to be approximately 200pF, and
charged to 25kV, results in an available 0.06 joules.  I know of a coworker
who was thrown 5 feet by a picture tube on residual charge alone while
working in the military..

Be careful out there, and Happy New Year all...

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA, USA

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>