RE: Function Generator Output Impedance

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Bart -

You can make a cheap and dirty signal generator rough impedance match for
Tesla coils easily. I make a bobbin from 1 inch dia tube by about 1 inch
long and wind 150 turns of #24 magnet wire. Over this wind 15 turns #20
magnet wire. Connect the generator to the 150 turns. Connect the load to the
15 turns. If the generator output is 50 ohms the load can be as low as 5
ohms or lower. The important point is to get the most output from the
generator by lowering the voltage to the load but increasing the current.
There is nothing critical about this air core transformer.

For specs on an excellent function generator click on

          http://www.mgte-dot-com/spec.pdf

For more info on the Wavetek 188 click on

          www.mgte-dot-com

Go to the Tesla page. The output is high including 200 ma into a short
circuit. Price includes the manual on a CD!

John Couture