Re: reverse recovery time of 6 kV diodes from All-Electronics

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Thank you Jim for posting this information. I have wondered about the
diode's Trr for quite some time now.

I know they work great for rectifying the output of a flyback
transformers, as I have used them to do this at frequencies greater
than 100kHz. No problem for the diodes.

This leads me to believe that these actually COULD rectify the output
of a Tesla coil. I wonder if it would work with spark-gap types, as a
BUNCH might have to be put in series for the initial voltage pulse
right after the gap fires.

It looks especially promising for the solid-state and vacuum-tube
driven types as the output is very clean.

Got a question for Jim and All: What does putting the diodes in
series do to the reverse recovery time (Trr) of the string? I have
been told by an engineer whom I know, that it doesn't affect it at
all. Trr remains the same, PIV' are added, and current handling
capability stays the same.

Is this true?

Take care,

Justin Hays