Re: Capacitive Ballasting

	Malcolm speaks great wisdom.

	Such caps are designed to be fired 'occasionally, for
	24 to 36 shots, then discarded.  (OK: the things DO
	get recycled....)   Electrolytic caps will, as
	Malcolm notes, overheat if used continuously with major
	AC power/current.

	I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN.

		Large, Dangerous, Bang.

	best
	dwp

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> Hi Alfred,
>
> On 24 Feb 2002, at 22:26, Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Alfred Erpel by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alfred-at-erpel-dot-com>
> >

> > Howdy all,
> >
> >  I was wondering about the merits of capacitive ballasting a transformer
> > with electrolytic photo capacitors since you can get them for free from
> > disposable cameras and they have high enough capacitance in a small enough
> > footprint to be practical.
> >
> > ASCII art warning -- make sure you have on a fixed width font. I use
Courier