Re: Magnetic Rectifier??

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Darren Freeman by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <free0076-at-flinders.edu.au>

> Yeah, judging from the sites it doesn't look like it should work.
>
> But I _have_ thought about it for 5 minutes and I think it should be
> possible to build something a bit like a rectifier as the site says using a
> saturable core inductor and a DC bias field through the core. If the core
> is kept close to saturation, then one half-cycle of AC should see a much
> higher inductance than the other, so although the reverse current is
> significant, it should demonstrate some rectification. Although the applied
> voltage wouldn't be a sinewave and I haven't modeled the circuit. I have a
> feeling it does work, though.
>
> If interested, check out the "magnetic amplifier" with a Google search.

I worked with magnetic amplifiers some years ago, used to control
rectifiers charging batteries. With diodes in series with the batteries,
work without problems. Without diodes, and with coils in parallel with
the batteries, no charge would accumulate on them over more than a
cycle.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz