Of mammoth proportions

Original poster: "Ben McMillen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <spoonman534-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hello all,
  It would seem that the transformer gods have smiled upon
me yet again. A friend of mine here at the university
informed me last week that he knew of a loading dock where
they were throwing away what appeared to him to be a large
capicitor. It turned out to be a really BIG X-Ray
transformer inside its power cabinet. We had bitten off
more than we could chew. When we first tried to move it, we
had to disconnect a water inlet feed. I thought to myself
"MAN.. this must be powerful if it's water cooled.. "
Attached to the top were two large crane hooks for lifting
which we later used along with a chain hoist to unload it
from my friend's truck.

Here's the tranny and the power cab.. (That's me in the
background.. ;) )
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/XRay%20Tranny%205.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/XRay%20Power%20Cab%201.jpg

Here are the power cab innards (lots of goodies here):
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Power%20Cab%20Innards%203.jpg

The transformer was unmarked, except for a small tag that
said "Phillips Electrical Equipment". The only other
information we could gather was from the name plate on the
power cab:
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Power%20Cab%20Name%20Plate.jpg

Judging form the panel meters on the front of the power
cab, the tranny is rated for 50KV, 50mA max. We later found
that the power cab contained a timer that could be set for
0 - 24 hours. Apparently this X-Ray machiene was used for
geological samples (we think) which would explain the need
for water cooling. (unless I don't know much about XRay
trannies ;) )

Are all X-Ray power supplies DC or is this one special?
There's only 1 HV standoff, whcih contains 3 wires, each
connected to a terminal strip inside a metal cup. Attached
to the metal cup was a flexible metal connector, with a 3
prong plug (sortof like an audio XLR jack) on the end. Each
of the 3 terminals inside the cup all seem to share a
common internal connection (as checked with a meter).
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/HV%20Standoff.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/HV%20Standoff%20cover%201.jpg

The other clue to the output being DC are the two access
panels to the left and right of the HV standoff marked
"RECT 1" and "RECT 2". We removed one of them to do the
"float's on water" test to test for PCB's. I don't know how
accurate this is, but the oil checked out ok.

The thing runs on 220V, single phase.. but we couldn't
determine a hookup, as there are numerous inputs:
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Input%20Terminals%201.jpg

My quesion(s) are: Does anyone know anything about this
particular transformer? How do you hook it up? I was
thinking that at least of the two outputs would be for a
filament hookup. 2 more possibly for an Agitator to aid in
cooling? If it IS DC, then what is the common for the HV
terminal?

The only other thing we found was a small tube inside the
case, which appeared to be some sort of spark gap:
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Amperex%20tube.jpg

Does anybody know what this is? Would it make a suitable SG
for a table top coil?

Once again, Thanks for any help..
(sorry the pics were so huge)

Coiling in Pittsburgh