Re: help NST potting

In a message dated 2/23/02 11:03:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Chris,

Certain NST brands, such as the Jefferson/Magnetek, use a silica
filling in the tar.  This makes them much harder to melt.  You may need
to remove just about all the tar to get rid of the carbon tracks.  I had
to do that with my NST's to get them working again.  I've used various
methods such as heating the tar outdoors with a propane torch and
scraping it away with a screwdriver, freezing it in the freezer and
chipping it away, heating it with a heat-gun, etc.  When it looks
pretty clean, then I soak them in gasolene for about 2 weeks or
more, then scrub them with a brush.  I usually take the core apart,
and remove the coils, and soak them separately, etc.  A lot of work...
too much if you ask me.  I did two of them, and that was enough.
Sometimes simply heating them in an oven or in an outdoor
controlled fire fixes them.  Sometimes the carbon track can be
found by digging into the tar around the case or near the top.
If not, I dump them in the garbage pronto.

Cheers,
John