RE: suitable bleeder resistors for MMC

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Your 2000V assumption in the power calculation isn't quite right.  Assuming
that 2000V is the peak voltage, the actual RMS voltage will be something
less.  The voltage waveform on a tank cap is far from sinusoidal, but
assuming it is, the RMS voltage would be 1414V, and the resulting power
dissipated in each resistor would be 0.2W, a much more comfortable margin.

But I assume your concern was more related to the voltage rating on the
resistors.  I have no experience with how much each can withstand, but I
recall that Terry did some experiments a while ago.  If 2000 peak-volts
does prove to be pushing things, you could always put two cheap 1/2W
resistors in series for each cap.  After all, what could make an MMC more
happy than an MMR!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA