Re: Interference-SSTC

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/21/02 10:33:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> >Hi all,
> >
> >How can i stop interference from my SSTC? It operates at
> >around 450 khz.  Everytime I turn it on, the family goes
> >NUTS!  There is a large antenna above the house.  Could
> >this cause the probs?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Matt
> >

> Hello Matt, Coilers,
>
> The likely cause of your troubles is that your coil is operating
> very close to the I.F. frequency of virtually all A.M. radios,
> 455 kHz.!!  Try moving your coil's frequency down a bit, and if
> the radio gods like you, your troubles MIGHT clear up a bit.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Hi All,
I concur with Weazle's observation and suggestion. As mentioned last year, my
first coil (ca. 1960) was almost exactly 455KHz, which I a friend and ran on
the roof of an apartment building in NYC, naturally, near a maze of antennas.
Needless to say, there was extreme consternation among the locals, and the
"Friendly Candy Co." truck was in the area next day. About a 10-20KHz drop in
frequency should eliminate a majority of the problem.

Matt D.
G3-1085