Vortices off tops of discharges

Any source of heat in a quiet air environment will tend to generate a
tornado like vortex.  It's a very stable flow configuration, and small
edges in the flow region shed small vortices to get it started.

A small candle (votive light) and some cardboard will demonstrate it quite
nicely. Another way is to take a can and split it down the side (cut it in
half along the axis of symmetry). Set the two halves slightly offset (so
there is a vertical gap on either side). Light the candle..

A burning puddle of flammable liquid on a flat surface in a windless
environment will demonstrate it even more nicely.

This phenomenon has been reported by all manner of folks (Benjamin
Franklin, among others..)

In fact, this sort of thing might account for the helical streamers and
sword like discharges observed on spherical top loads... The air flows up
and around the sphere, acquiring a bit of spin...  As it falls into the
center low pressure zone (created by the heat of the spark lifting the air
that's already there), the rotational speed increases (conservation of
momentum, same as used by ice skaters doing spins, etc.).

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>