truly massive Tube Coil

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All!

        It's just a sickness, I tell you.  Coilers have some measure of
insanity, a little demon on our shoulder that whispers, "Phase in another
NST.  Crank the Variac to 140v out...Wind an 8" coil...good....now buy a
polepig!...."

    It was that little demon that whispered to me, "You *NEED* that GU10A
transmitting tube...."  So I have coming to me a 10kW russian transmitting
triode. This thing moves so much power the anode (plate) must be kept in a
water bath, in addition to the forced air cooling of the base of the tube.
The filament alone pulls more power than most coiler's NST powered coils.
The tube can crank out over an amp at 8kv, and it can run up to 26mhz (not
important).   The quad 833 coil is truly a powerful device.  It melts
drywall screws and heats up tungsten-carbide to white hot for crying out
loud, and that's only at 2kw input (of 3kw it's capable of handling for 15
min or so).  I can very well imagine what 4x that power will do.

    Much designing, planning, and scrounging to be done!  My #1 enemy with a
coil of this power level is *HEAT!*  The quad 833 heats the primary coil to
scalding hot in just a few minutes.  Not to mention the fact that the FCC
will disapprove *very* highly of an unlicensed transmitter running at many
thousands of watts....on a broad band no less......Looks like I'll be
choking and tuning and suppressing *everything*.

Take care everybody!  Comments, suggestions, snide remarks welcomed! Flames
diverted to /dev/null
Shad (Sundog)
G-2 #1203
"To call someone crazy just shows
you can't understand their views on Life."