Re: NON-static shocks from unpowered secondary?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> Hi David,

> On 19 Feb 2002, at 8:09, Tesla list wrote:

> > Original poster: "David Kyle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com>

> > I drew a quarter inch static spark off the toroid after the coil hand
> > been powered down for several minutes (all AC connections severed). It
> > really surprised me as the base of the secondary was still connected
> > very solidly to earth ground so I had assumed and residual charge with
> > have drained away. I now routinely discharge the toroid prior to
> > touching it.

> > Dave Kyle
> > Austin, TX USA
> > Email: dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com

> If the coil was grounded, then the charge must have been residing on
> you mustn't it? Were you properly grounded prior to touching the
> terminal or were you wearing sensible footwear?

	Concur.  Note that a few steps across the floor can build
	up sensible charge.

	Someone else mentioned that shocks occurred in a cold dry
	shop.  Right.  IDEAL for build up if static ON THE OPERATOR
	be walking across the floor.

	(van de Pants generator????)

	Another account mentioned multiple shocks from the
	former of a depowered coil.  Expected, if electret effect is
	involved.  A grab in one area can drain the temporarily, charge
	will then drift around to 'fill the hole', then zap again.

	Grab a completely different area and get a fresh charge pocket.

	best
	dwp