re: Electrum waveforms, was: Then what's the topload FOR?

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Bert,
     is it believed that the 7 HF oscilations in the 2-us/division B-waveform
represent streamer "leaders" forming, that the ?-foot arc produced at the
time this oscillograph was taken was formed in 7 increments.

Do people think that "leaders" form at a constant length, and that for a
smaller TC there would only be one leader jump, and that for larger TCs
generating larger sparks that there could be multiple leader jumps. OR
is there some reason why leader jumps would be shorter in a small TC and that
their sparks would also grow in several smaller jumps.

and why are there these HF oscillations only on the positive(?) excursions
 of the current into the topload - do TC sparks only break out on one polarity
 of the resonant oscillation (that would explain how the coil form gets a
 net elecrete charge sometimes).

and why are there hugh negative current swings in this graph, that would
 indicate that during streamer formation / leader growth that current is
 oscillating???

This is why I think that a streak photo of a TC spark formation, especially
if it could be coordinated with the oscillographs of the type they took of
Electrum, would be very enlightening to us TC builders/enthusiasts.

-Peter Lawrence.

  http://www.lod-dot-org/electrum/electrumspecs.html

  http://www.lod-dot-org/electrum/sphere20us.jpg
  http://www.lod-dot-org/electrum/sphere10us.jpg