Re: Ground for secondary

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/19/02 7:43:02 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi.
>
> I live in an apartment and hence, cannot find a good RF ground for my
> secondary coil.  I'm wondering if there is any danger to the wiring in this
> apartment if I simply ground the coil to the ground on the electrical plug.
> I'm using a 9Kv 60mA and a (12) beer bottle cap.
>
> Any comments/advice is much appreciated.
>
> Shaun.

Hi Shaun,
You won't hurt the wiring any, but you could wipe out any or all sensitive
equipment hooked to the electrical system, both in your and other apartments.
Also, if your ground lead is long, the base of your coil could be at a
significantly high voltage. ;-(( Of course, you might not have any problem for
many months, or you could have a problem in seconds. The worst case, IMO, is
getting an arc to your ground wire near the coil, and have it be long. The RF
crawling on it can do weird things.

Matt D.