Re: NON-static shocks from unpowered secondary?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Hi Ed, All -
>
> Ed, I have to agree from my experience. What is my experience you ask?
> Well, I've never, no not
> once, ever been shocked by my coils. This includes big sonotube coils and
> thick pvc tube coils.
> I've run in freezing dry clymates in the winter to very humid in the summer
> (Minnesota) to
> perfect weather (California now). The only other situation I see is I
> always use the same
> coating. Marine Spar Varnish. Mainly because it goes on thick and remains
> flexible for varying
> temperatures (doesn't crack with weather - but it will peel off if the coil
> is damaged). I
> expect I'll never get this type of shock if the coating is the main cause.
>
> Take care,
> Bart

	Interesting.  Would have thought the varnish was a good insulator and
quite conducive to being charged.  I first observed it with coils after
I gave them several heavy coats of shellac, primarily to make up for the
lack of rigidity of the underlying cardboard tube.  See identical
results when using polyurethane varnish .  Anyhow, as you can see, lots
of others have made similar observations - something is sure happening
and it has to be electrostatic charge.

Ed