Re: Ballast

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/16/02 10:17:18 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > I have to reply to my own post here.  Robert is correct.  I thought these
> cores
> > were powdered or sintered ferrite.  This one is not.  It is made as Robert
> > describes, one piece of thin steel wound tightly over itself until it is
> 1.1"
> > thick with a 1.8" diameter hole in the center.
> > Ed Sonderman
>
>     If you don't gap those (or any other closed cores) properly they are
> going to act as saturating reactors, not as linear inductors.  You have
> to keep the flux density in the core below say 15000 gauss at the most,
> and the only way to do that in the case of a few turns with lots of
> voltage is to introduce an air gap.
>
> Ed

That is what I had understood from past discussion.  I have already cut a 1/4"
slot out of it.  The material looks like mild steel but still required 30 +
minutes per cut on my small metal saw at work.

Ed Sonderman