RE: NST secondary (OBIT secondary?)

Original poster: "McQuay, Michael by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Michael.McQuay-at-wcg-dot-com>

>>I'd like to resurrect that OBIT especially since it belonged to a friend
:-)

Years ago, a friend and I were playing with my 15kv/30ma NST (with no
protection of course) when one of the HV terminals of the transformer became
severely impaired in how much spark it would make.  I figured we had burned
up that side or had an internal arc so I depotted the thing.

I put the transformer in an oven at about 200 degrees F for about an hour.
This was enough heat to make the tar soft, but not melt it.  It also made
the tar "sweat" an oily substance.  I then used a screwdriver to dig out the
potting tar from about the transformer core and was able to remove the core
from the case this way.

The advantage to doing it this way as opposed to actually melting the tar
was that it was a lot less messy and thanks to the "sweating" effect, the
tar fairly cleanly separated from the transformer in big chunks rather than
melting to it and coating it.  I then used kerosene and a toothbrush to
clean the residual tar from the core and windings. I also cleaned the tar
from the metal case, then sealed the low voltage and High voltage feed
throughs into/out-of the case with blue RTV.  I put the transformer back
into the case, hooked everything up, and filled the case with kerosene.  (I
know, I know.  Flammable liquids, High voltage, bad idea, but it's cheap and
seems to work well.)  I've ran it than way (under kerosene) for a long time
with no problems and it restored the functionality of my transformer.

When I was digging the tar out, I found the carbonized place where the
secondary winding was shorting to the case.  However, during digging I
accidentally jabbed the screwdriver into one of the secondary windings,
damaging some of the wires.  That's the disadvantage to the screwdriver/dig
method.  You have to be careful not to damage windings.

I hooked up the transformer while it was depotted and could see small arcing
within the winding where I had jabbed the screwdriver, but after putting it
back in the case and submerging in kerosene, the transformer appeared to
work normally and still does.