Model T Spark Coil Powered Tesla Coil

Original poster: "David Kyle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com>

I started construction of a Model T spark coil powered Tesla coil today and it
occurred to me that the inside of my flat primary and the bottom of the
secondary will both be connected to the same ground. I have always built NST
powered coils and was curious what differences might result from this
arrangement? Presumably there will not be much arcing from the lower part of
the secondary to the primary since they are already connected. This is a very
low power design so I am not expecting that over coupling to be an issue. Will
this allow me to very closely place the inner wind of primary next to the
secondary with essentially no gap between them?

My son and I are building this coil for his school science fair
(non-competitive entry) so I am seeking ideas as to what interesting science
things we can demonstrate with a small coil. For example wireless transmission
of power with a florescent tube and a simple ion motor are perennial favorites.
Can you think of any other experiments that would interest elementary school
kids?

Dave Kyle
Austin, TX USA
Email: dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com