Re: 1/4 wave theory/cite the variance?

Hi,

I should point out that much of the 1/4 wave "myth" comes from the Colorado
Springs Notes as do a fair number of other "myths" about Tesla coils.

The Colorado springs notes are Tesla's personal notes he took at the time.
He NEVER intended for someone to find it 80 years later and publish it and
send tens of thousands copies all over the world to hungry Tesla coil
builders.  If he had, he would have removed all the mistakes.

Tesla used the 1/4 wave thing a lot in his calculations "there" because
that is all he had "at that time".  Much of the notes are filled with Tesla
struggling with the fact that "it didn't work".  Later on, Tesla certainly
understood the problems with his old calcualtions back then.  However, If
you read the notes, they do sound like Tesla had it all figured out,
"before he tested it"!

So be very careful of getting "facts" from the Colorado Springs notes.  The
experiments are wonderful but the "analysis" was not ready for prime time.
I hate to hear people argue that soemthing there is the truth when Tesla
himself would not defended it in light of his later understanding.

For fun, if one has any old Tesla notes form 20 years ago.  Imagine how
they would sound "now" if they suddenly made the six o'clock news!  Maybe I
should go burn mine :o))

Cheers,

	Terry