Re: Then what's the topload FOR?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Ok, now if the topload stores energy until it overcomes the breakdown of the
> air and the maximum charge density allowed for the given curvature of the
> toroid the it has to be storing that energy during several cycles of the
> ringdown.

Yes, but what appears there is a sequence of -alternate- positive and
negative swings, each one greater that the previous ones, until the
breakdown voltage is reached. No DC.

> So...we're trying to charge a DC storage device from an AC supply...wouldn't
> this just result in a net charge of 0V? Think about it....

An -average- voltage of 0 V.

> Each bang in the tank circuit is of opposite polarity to the next.

Why this? Each semicycle of the tank circuit during a single "bang" is.

> And Once
> the bang occures there is a fast ringdown into the primary coil of a damped
> AC waveform....everything is AC...each Bang is reversed, each cycle of the
> ringdown reverses....how the hell do we get a spark at all?

As the amplitudes of successive semicycles in the primary circuit
decrease (not a damped AC waveform. The decrease here is more as
a cosinusoid, not an exponential). The amplitude of succesive
semicycles at the secondary increases. This is the mechanism of
energy transfer by double resonance.

> In theory, at least in my own warped and twisted head meat, we shouldn't
> have more than a few hundred volts, if that, ever seen in a topload.
>
> I know I'm wrong (obviously) I just want to know why.

Take a look at my simulator Teslasim. Look at a link at the bottom of
the page:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/magnifier.html
It plots the waveforms before breakout, so you can see what happens.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz