Re: Longitudinal Waves

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

> Hi Ed,
>
> I searched the NIST web site for all kinds of terms related to flat spiral
> coil formulas and didn't find anything.  Do you have a link I can use?
>
> Dave

	Sorry. C74* was originaly published at the time the US entered WW1, as
an aid to new engineers and technicians.  The actual title is "Radio
Instruments and Measurements, Bureau of Standards Circular No. 74".  As
far as I know it's been out of print for at least 80 years, but there
are still copies floating around and there may be later editions I
haven't heard of.  It's a two-part book, really.  First part deals with
RF practices of those days, and has lots of good stuff which would be of
interest to TC nuts.  The second part is a compendium of a lot of
information, including detailed formulae for calculating inductance and
capacitance.  A lot of that stuff came from earlier bulletins, going
back to 1906 and even earlier.  Most of the classic inductance formulae
were worked out in the 1880's and 1890's.  It's interesting to note that
the original compiler was a young engineer named George Southworth, who
years later was one of the pioneers in microwave transmission and wave
guides.

	I just did a quick Google search and came up with a number of hits.
The first one "Angela Instruments Online Catalog" -
www.angela-dot-com/catalog/books/military.html - lists a 1924 edition for
$19.00, a real bargain in my opinion.  Unfortunately, I don't seem to be
able to contact it and had to used the cached version to see what was on
it.

*Terry's site has it :-)

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/Circ74/

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/Circ74/tif_pgs.zip

Maybe soon I will be able to make it into a PDF ;-))
T.