Re: ~Variac question

For testing purposes... although a variac is nice, you can get by with some
lightbulbs in series or parallel.

A 100W lightbulb limits the current to around .5 to 1 amp. (Cold resistance
is a lot less than hot, so it's hard to predict).   A 300W halogen bulb
will limit the current to around 3-5 amps (bulb life in this application is
VERY short, by the way, because it doesn't get hot enough for the halogen
to do its thing).

I have a standard J box with a cord and plug, a receptacle, and a regular
old porcelain socket on the top into which I can screw a variety of bulbs.
Very handy for that first smoke test...  You can get bulbs all the way down
to 7 watts and up to around 200 Watts in the usual screw base.  Not only
does it limit the current if your device is shorted, but it lights up to
tell you.