Re: Sync motor

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/14/02 10:22:00 PM Central Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Andy Cobaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> kb3ewy-at-rcn-dot-com>
>
>  Where can I find a synchronous motor for a SRSG and how much should I
expect
>  pay for one?  I don't want to make another static spark gap.
>
>  Andy, KB3EWY

Andy,
I am making a SRSG right now. I cannot say my search for a salient pole-
synchronous motor was exhaustive but I checked with Grainger, McMaster-Carr,
and a local motor repair shop. The guy in the motor shop had lots of catalogs
but
we never found anything. I faxed to McMaster. They are always very helpful
and called back to say that they just have no source for what I am looking
for.

I have several motors. I picked a junk motor (1725 RPM) for practice and
filed 4 flats
on the armature. The results are not perfect but it works and synchronizes
under the
florescent lamps. So right now I am filing the flats on a near-new 1/4 HP,
1725 RPM
Sears, Roebuck motor. It's not that difficult. Get a good flat mill file. You
could buy a rt-angle grinder for what I
think a suitable motor will cost. My guess is that buying the motor does not
present
the most favorable cost-benefit picture.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,

Ralph Zekelman

\