Re: Flat Coils

Original poster: "John Tomacic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla_ownz_u-at-hotmail-dot-com>

All these postings about flat secondary coils made me take a quick look at
the inductance of a flat coil and compare it to a helical coil I already
have.  Surprisingly, the inductance of the flat spiral coil is 60% higher
for the same length of wire. In this case the length of wire is 1478 feet.
Since the wire resistance is the same for both coils, is it safe to conclude
that the Q of the spiral would be 60% higher seeing that Q is proportional
to XL/R?
If so, then there is an advantage to using flat spirals as secondaries,
especially in magnifiers where it would be easy to feed the secondary from
the centre, and have a toroid around the outside circumference of the
secondary.

Also, I have an idea for winding the flat spiral, however, I still need to
try it out to see if it works: Place 2 round plexiglass discs close
together, separated in the center by a round spacer with spacer thickness
equal to wire diameter and spacer diameter equal to desired inner diameter
of coil.  Wire would then be wound around the center spacer by spinning the
whole "sandwich", and the plexi disks would keep the wire flat as the spiral
is built up.  One of the plexi disks could have 1/2 inch wide radial slots
in it to apply glue to hold the wire in place after the disc is removed (or
both disks could stay in place after finished). The spacer in the middle
could be a pvc pipe of desired diamenter and the plexi disks would have a
hole of the same dia as the pipe so that the discs could slide over the pipe
to the desired separation.

John

Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn-dot-com