RE: Easy way to Big Inductor, was Re: ebay wire

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Kurt

I previously tried this with a leg from a three phase x-ray transformer. The
leg has one section of the core, a primary coil, and a secondary coil. The
piece probably weights 150 pounds. It looks like an induction coil, so it
was only natural that I would try to drive it as such. It works, but I had
sparking from the sides of the HV secondary down to the bottom. The
situation would probably improve if the leg was submerged under transformer
oil. There is enough room on the leg to series in another HV secondary. I
did not do this because of insulation problems. The bottom of the HV coil is
fixed so that it floats at ground potential. There is very little insulation
at the bottom with the core. It would be too difficult to adapt these
outfits to open air operation. Well not impossible, but one would
essentially have to wreck the primary to remove the laminations. Its trivial
to remove the HV secondary. I decided that it would not be good to wreck
such a nice professionally wound primary. I don't have any potential
transformers. Building a big induction coil is just a fantasy, until I score
a big spool of wire.

Godfrey Loudner