Re: air ionization and also balancing chokes

>Hey all,
>
>I just wanted to share an observation that I have recently made
>that I'm sure is nothing new, but I thought that I would throw it
>out for comments :-) I've noticed after running my "big pig" coil
>system in my garage that my x-ray tranny powered Jacob's
>ladder will self start at a somewhat lower setting on the control
>variac. I'm sure the coil is adding extra ions to the air inside the
>garage which is causing a noticably lower breakdown voltage
>for the Jacob's ladder at its 7.5" minimum clearance. Yep, that's
>right, 7 1/2" is the MINIMUM spacing of my Jacob's ladder rails
>so that's easily in excess of 100 kV just to get the thing started.
>That's what you can do with a decent-sized x-ray tranny, heh
>Duck? ;-)

Oh yeah :)

I'm bringing a 10' tall JL to the Winter Thon with 150kV from an XRT behind
it. The JL sits on the floor, with a 2.5' tall 50Lbs ceramic insulator
supporting each electrode. Just remember to keep your duty cycle insanely
low or you'll drive it into meltdown FAST!

I'm going to have a couple BIG transformers at the Thon, some outputting AC,
some DC for playing with the BIG voltages. I'm planning on intentionally
overvolting a SW cap, just to see what happens :) plus a few other cool
demonstrations.

>Sparking in Memphis,
>David Rieben

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1