RE: Longitudinal Waves

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Ralph,

I'm learning about this theory myself.  So my terminology hasn't solidified
yet.

My recent experiments give me reason to believe my theory is correct and I
have posted my journal entries at
http://www.tesla-coil-builder-dot-com/FlatSpiralSecondaryLongitudinal.htm
http://www.tesla-coil-builder-dot-com/FlatSpiralSecondaryPlasmaBall01.htm

The conclusion on the second page touches on this.  But here is a direct
answer...

A pulse, as I can define it as a function of c^2, begins as an electrostatic
charge.  In this example, I will describe it as an electrostatic charge over
the poles of an atom.  Through many different means an electrostatic charge
can be caused to develop around an atom, the positive charge over one pole
and the negative charge over the other pole.  Atoms are actually wobbling,
but this does not affect the electrostatic charge as the charge wobbles
along with the atom.

In a quick shot, the two charges rush toward each other, smacking the atom
from both poles.  The charge of the atom causes the electrostatic charges to
spread out forming rings around the atom.  As the atom is smashed it forces
an electron out of one of the rings up to the next ring level, whereupon the
electron immediately snaps back.  This causes an longitudinal wave in the
plane of the atom's equator.  At the same time longitudinal component is
expanding out in a ring, the electrostatic rings are rushing toward each
other.  The positive and negative rings pass through each other and due to
inertia continue until their attractive forces cause them to stop and
reverse direction back toward each other.  Each time this cycle continues,
the rings reverse direction much closer than the previous cycle.  This is
the damped wave portion of the pulse.

Eventually the wave completely damps, but the longitudinal component is
still there.  This is consistent with Newton's first law of Thermodynamics
which states essentially that energy can be neither created nor destroyed.
So the energy that was present in the beginning as a dual nature
electrostatic charge has become a single entity longitudinal wave.  And what
was once a polar static charge has not become an expanding ring of energy,
expanding away from the atom within it's equatorial plane at the time of the
initial impact.

When we see a sine wave on an oscilloscope, it is really a series of pulses
we are looking at.  And to be more precise, we are looking at only the first
second of each successive pulse.  The damped sine wave has both electric and
magnetic forces during the time it is decaying.  The electric force comes
from the initial electrostatic charge and the magnetic force comes from the
longitudinal wave.  In the first second, this combined electromagnetic force
is its strongest.  That is why we cut out the first second of each pulse to
make our sine waves.  All the electromagnetic technology is based on this
first second of each pulse.

But electromagnetic technology is not all that is available from the pulse.
Tesla's work focused heavily on electrostatics and later on longitudinal
waves.  Tesla was working on electrical theory as though the pulse were the
primary unit for building oscillations.  Everyone else could only understand
the complex energy constructs of successive pulses.

I have some insights, now, into the workings of the flat spiral coil.  As
seen in my experiments, I have deduced that the flat spiral coil sets up a
standing pulse wave.  That is, there may be a positive and negative side to
the flat spiral coil corresponding to the positive and negative portions of
the electrostatic charge.  The outer windings of the coil produce
longitudinal waves.  And I have seen indications of this in my experiments,
too.  The voltage of a flat spiral coil is contained mostly in the larger
turns of wire.  What I envision is that there is a damped voltage wave
inside the coil windings.  A flat spiral coil in operation appears to be the
reverse of a pulse in the sense that the primary coil is inducing
mechanically an entire pulse in the secondary.  But it is like a pulse
frozen in position.

The better tuned the primary and secondary are, the stronger and more
defined the stationary pulse will be in the secondary.

Another way to view this is that a standing wave is produced in the flat
spiral coil that protrudes both upward and downward from the center of the
coil.  The peaks of both waves are oppositely charged electrically.

So to clarify the electrostatic/longitudinal terminology, the electrostatic
charge is a split longitudinal wave.  The damped wave is the transition
between the electrostatic charge and the longitudinal wave.  During the
transition between electrostatic charge and longitudinal wave, the damped
wave has electromagnetic properties from which all electromotive forces are
derived.  The electrostatic force is a static force.  The longitudinal wave
is closely related to the photon in nature.

What is the mechanism for initiating the pulse?  I haven't got my finger on
it.  For me at the moment, it's like trying to figure out what caused the
Big Bang.  There is no question in anybody's mind that pulses do occur, but
I can't tell you why at this time.

I hope I was clear enough in conveying my thoughts.  I don't expect
unanimous agreement and welcome all challenges.

Dave