Re: Pig grounding

Hi Jonathan -

Tesla list wrote:

<Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 2/8/02 10:14:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>

> > CASE1: I'm now grounding one hv terminal to RF ground which runs to the
> > inner primary
> > connection and bottom secondary keeping both ends "potentially" the same
> > (pun intended) and at
> > RF ground. I learned this from David Reiben.
>
> won't that put the pig's case at 7200V?? (assuming 14.4 kV pig)
> ---------------------------------------
> Jonathon Reinhart
> hot-streamer-dot-com/jonathon

In reference to the case and what?

With the case at mains ground measuring from case to hv terminal, I would read
"near" 14.4kv. I would read "near" zero between the case and the RF tied hv
terminal. If the case was RF grounded, I'd read "nearer" to both values.

L1 is inducing current in L2 putting the potential across L2 at the winding
ratio.
Tying one side to a reference voltage (zero to 1-infinity) still shows
14.4kv across
the L2 terminals. The case is tied to mains ground (power company ground +
earth).
If I had one hv terminal tied to 100v above "mains" ground, then I would
read 100v
on that terminal and 14.5kv on the other in reference to the case. This hookup
simply keeps L2 from floating.

Take care,
Bart