Re: Extra coil

Hi Robert,
           Thanks for the details........

On 8 Feb 2002, at 11:51, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "rheidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

> The original crystal set was made with a 100 T coil with a sliding tap for
> tuning. The coil was placed between earth ground and an antenna. A diode in
> series witk a high impedance earphone was shunt across the coil. The load
> reduced the Q of the coil and caused broad banding. A second version added a
> capacitor (variable ) in series with the coil and a seperate output winding
> of about 25 turns to the load. This improved the Q and tunability. A later
> version added an extra winding between the two. About 75 turns with a 600 pf
> capacitor across it forming a parallel tuned circuit between the input coil
> and the output coil.The volume encreased enough to drive a high impedance
> speaker( no longer made) with enough volume for a small room of people to
> hear.The extra tuned coil was connected to nothing,Just a hi-Q coil between
> input and output. No one moved the transmitter or the antenna to add volume.

V1 sounds as if you had a fixed capacitor for tuning and it was
tapped across varying portions of the coil. Correct? The change in
tap point alone would have caused the Q of the circuit to vary.
     V2 sounds as if it had a degree of antenna matching introduced
by the variable cap between the antenna and coil. Also, a reduction
in circuit loading.
     Without knowing the station/s frequency/s and inductance of the
75 turn coil it's difficult to know what action what is essentially a
bandstop filter between input tuned circuit and output coil was doing
but I bet that with 600pF across it, the Q wasn't all that high. But
that isn't quite the same thing as having an unshunted resonator in
series with the antenna and main tuned circuit. I'm having difficulty
relating that to Tesla's magnifying system (my problem, not yours ;).

     The little setup in my study uses a single resonator with no
tuning cap between the aerial wire and ground. I designed it to be
self-resonant in conjunction with the antenna to a station
transmitting around 1.2MHz so the short antenna was used more
effectively (just a few feet of wire arranged as a short top-hat
vertical running up the wall and part-way across the ceiling). Even
with a load, the circuit is very selective. The higher power
transmitter I mentioned transmits on 567kHz.

     I guess I will have to put another branch for experimentation
into the in-tray. I see at least a degree of antenna matching in your
setup.

Regards,
Malcolm