Re: pairing OBITs

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

Hello Coilers,

To quote a post from earlier today:

>It's a small, cubish (about 6x6") 120VAC to 10kV/23mA transformer. The name
>"Obit" (actually O.B.I.T.) comes from Oil Burner Ignition Transformer, as
>this is what they are designed for. They are commonly found on old furnaces
>that burn oil (and I've seen them on large gas-fired boilers a few times as
>well). They are freakishly delicate and don't last long, furtunately they're
>cheap and abundant if you know where to look. They are the only step down
>from a standard NST, and not nearly as rugged (NSTs are fairly delicate as
>it is), they do have the benefit of being internally current limited.

I beg to differ about them being delicate!  I've run them on my number
one and two coils for many years with only ever having blown one, even
when abused by having a resonant cap!!  Mind you, I ALWAYS use a Terry
filter and properly set safety gaps which likely is responsible for my
set of OBITs having a long life.  I have run as many as 6 in parallel
with no problems whatsoever.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca