Re: Relays and Contactors

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <CHURCHMON-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Rick,
A cap can be placed accross the circuit to keep the points from arcing or
(Welding)
themselves shut :.(  if the current is high enough!
This is the reason that there is a cap accross the points of an automobile
ditributor
system , too keep the arcing to a minimum.
I too placed a post reguading this issue for my 120 volt system, unfortunatly
I never got an answer as to what value the cap shuold be for this type of
arrangement. I'm pulling roughly 30 amps (4 15/60's) or 1.5 kva.