Re: SSTC and the Current Drive Ring (IDR) Concept

Original poster: "Marco Denicolai by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <marco.denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>

Hi Dave,

It is hard for me to understand how a magnetic core sized as a
ice-hockey puck can handle powers in the range of 10 kW...

I was lucky to put my hands on the toroids used in the Thor HF filter.
They are a kind of esoteric stuff: tape wound cores, o.d. about 5",
permeability 17000. Well, they can handle up to 11 kW, but at a
frequency of 20 kHz.

With more usual parts: a 10 kW push-pull transformer (ferrite) will
measure 6"x5", will weight 7 kg and will work at 20 kHz.

I suggest you to ask the Magnetics guy for their 'P' material datasheet
(and cores datasheet). Please, email those to me privately. If that
material is really capable of what the guy says, I could be interested
too.

Best Regards

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

--

 Marco Denicolai           Senior Design Engineer
 Tellabs Oy                tel: +358 9 4131 2769