Re: Obits - How many are too many???

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/31/02 7:32:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > Hi Everybody!
> >
> > Does anybody have any idea what the largest obit farm anybodies come up
> > with?
> >
> > I was talking with a guy today that supposedly has boxes filled with 6000V
> > 20mA
> > Obits. He  said he had no use for them so I told him I'd take them. He
> > asked how
> > many I wanted and off the top of my head I just said a dozen. He said "ok"
> > and
> > he'd bring them by in the next couple of days.
> >
> > He left one with me. It has a single hi-voltage electrode. I was thinking
> > of
> > tying pairs back to back for 12000V, then paralleling pairs for whatever
> > current
> > I wanted. 12 wired this way would be 12000V at 120mA.
> >
> > Do you eventually reach a point of diminishing returns???
> >
> > Let's see.... 50 pairs would be.... 1000 mA output...
> >
> > Exactly how many could I parallel before it would be better to just haul
> > out my
> > 15KVA pig and current limit it down?
> >
> > Here's another question, which would perform better, a 15KVA pig current
> > limited
> > down with inductive ballasts to 1KVA, or 1KVA worth of Obits???
> >
> > I'm really wondering how many this guy has :)
> >
> > Paul
> > G-5 #11

Paul,

If he has several of the one high voltage terminal units, you could probably
series two of them.  One of the HV output windings is likely tied to the case.
You could connect the two cases together and ground them, just as a neon sign
transformer which has a case grounded center tap.  As Godfrey says, I would not
attempt to series two of the standard configuration obits that have two high
voltage bushings.

Ed Sonderman