Re: Aaaaaaa!! My NST is toast! Salvage tips?

Original poster: "George Erdel by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gerdell-at-comcast-dot-net>

If the unit has TAR as a compound that is used to pot the interior then
place the entire unit into an oven set at 250 degrees  until the tar is
completely melted and is able to flow.  Once the tar is liquefied then
remove the unit and allow the unit to cool slowly until the tar once again
sets.  When the tar breaks down and an arc starts to travel through the tar
then it is no longer able to have the dielectric properties needed to
work.  Melting the tar and allowing it to once again cool will get rid of
the track or crack and it should once again start working.  This is NOT
able to be used with the epoxy type of potting compounds.  I have seen many
a NST saved in this manner.

Good Luck

George