Re: Micro Tesla Coil design

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Micro Tesla Coil design
>Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:47:28 -0700
>
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
>
>Thanks for the reply. Still looking for something much smaller - probably
>going to wind one myself.
>Sizewise we're talking about a tesla coil that would literally fit in the
>palm of your hand and be about  5-6 inches high maximum.
>Something like a 2kV, 0.5-1mA output probably.
>
>Dan

I have made a very small coil.  It was 4.5" diameter x 11" tall (the whole
thing!).  The PSU was a 7.5kv air ionizer PSU(maybe 1.25x.75x1").  IT was
DC.  I used that to charge an old 10kv .03uf cap to about 5kv.  It took
about 6 seconds to do that.  THen it would self fire into a 4 turn primary
of 12awg with a 4.5" diamter.  The secondary was 3.5" x 8" tall of 28awg
wire.  Sparks were about 4" long.  It was safe enough (it was all enclosed
and insulated) for me to pick it up and zap things with it.  It was like
touching a strong VDG, the spark that is.  After awhile i got sick of it
and took it apart.  Oh well, but it was pretty fun!

Steve Ward.