Re: SSTC

In a message dated 12/18/02 7:44:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Hi SSTC coilers,
>
>Spark gaps are said to cause up to 1/3 of a TC system's losses. In
>order to reduce these and as NSTs are rare in this part of the world,
>I'm planning on substituting the static spark gap of my small 2"
>system with silicon. Of course the system needs to be redesigned.
>
>1. Does John's formula "input power vs streamer length" still hold or
>could I expect a distinct improvement?

Herwig,

Replacing a spark gap with silicon is a tricky proposition.  I assume
you'll be using something like Terry's OLTC coil?  There are frequency
issues and other issues which create other losses.  So far there has
been no efficiency improvement if I remember correctly.

Now if you're planning to build a typical SSTC which is more of a
CW type device, then the "efficiency" will be much lower.  For tube
coils and (non-OLTC) SSTC's I use the formula:

   spark length inches = 0.48*sqrt input power (watts)

Full-wave will give more power throughput, but half-wave may
give longer sparks for a given input power.

John