Micro Tesla Coil design

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

I'm soon to start designing a microcoil.  The goal of this project is build
a conventional tesla
coil as small as possible and still work.

Has anyone had experience building one of these things? I know I saw someone
building a palm sized version
on the internet before, but have long ago lost that link.

Some questions:

1.  I'm going to have to build a mini 60Hz step-up transformer from scratch.
What should the minimum voltage
output on this be?  I was thinking of having at least a 1kV to 2kV output at
60Hz.

2.  Ballasting:  Since this transformer will not have current limiting, what
type of ballasting could I get away
with.  I guess at this size (and at the sacrifice of a few volts) I could
use a resistor or even wind a small
inductor on the primary side of the transformer.

Dan