Re: Capping secondary coil forms

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I have 2 experiences with this.  My large coil has a 25" tall 6.3" diameter
with 24awg.  Its makes sparks about 2.5X that length (about 60"is common
70" max).  It has no caps to protect it.  I had a small coild once with a
10" tall 2.3" form of 28awg.  It had not caps and made about 18" sparks,
but eventually arced over constantly.  IT would arc over once in awhile,
but eventually, thats all it would do.  So i had to make another coil 14"
tall. This easily handles 20" at least.  So maybe it depends on the size of
the coil and other factors.  Maybe also the quality of the pipe
surface?  But, i guess to play it safe, use the caps, but i usually dont
unless there is a problem.

Steve Ward.