Re: Variac ratings

In a message dated 12/16/02 1:33:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>My question, is can you push a variac for short periods of time.  In
>example, can i push my 8.5A variac to say 12A for
>short periods of time.

Dan,

Yes, most variacs can be pushed to 2X rated current or more for short periods
according to the manufacturer's spec sheets.

I always ran my 2400 watt, 24" spark tube coil using a 7.5A , 120V variac,
although this was pushing it a bit much perhaps.

John